Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mommy by day.... Seamtress at night


Okay, so I am always talking about how much I love my kids, well here is something else I love... sewing. Actually sewing, crafting, scrapbooking, and even a little crochet! I have been "creating" things since I was a kid. I can remember the gentle hum of my mama's Elna sewing machine, and the little pictures of the rabbit and the turtle on the dial for sewing fast or slow. I can remember as if it were yesterday our many trips to cloth world, golden state fabrics, house of fabrics, and a little quilt store that had cats running around. All those fabric stores are long gone now, but the love of sewing that my mama instilled in me has never disappeared. Tonight I sewed myself a 50's housewife inspired skirt. I made it from a vintage curtain I found at the thrift store, some ric rac, lace, and ribbon trims. I would have to say, I absolutely am in love with this skirt. I can't wait to wear it to church on Sunday, with Jasper perched on my hip, and Caillou holding on to the lacey folds of my skirt as we walk in. I can't wait to sew another one! Sometimes, I am just so tired...it takes a great deal of ambition for me to get any sewing or crafts done after I put the boys to bed, but boy do I feel pleased with myself when I do find the time to spend on my little projects. I feel so at peace while stitching pretty ribons and ric rac to hems, hand sewing little felt birds, painting little boxes, and rummaging through cutesy stickers. I feel energized and content after I have worked on a project, I feel more like a homemaker, more like a mama, when I take the time to do these little things that I love. Since I am a grown girl and don't live with my mama anymore, I can no longer can run into her room in the wee hours of the morning to show her what I have created. But I can go to bed, eagerly aniticipating the morning, to present a new pair of britches for the boys, or a set of calico rag bunnies, or even some little signs for their high chairs like these... and then call mama and tell her what I made!







4 comments:

  1. Very, very adorable. Wish I had the inspiration or know how, lol! Maybe someday, patience is a virtue they say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the skirt. I know what you mean. After the kids go to bed, I do! I've been trying to sew mid-day after my son does his school and my daughter does hers late afternoon.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley,I love your skirt...you are so very talented...you should be very proud of yourself...you are such a loving mother,and a wonderful Homemaker.....bless you dear.....Shelley

    ReplyDelete

lovely little notes